Thursday, May 9, 2013

Simple DIY Belly Band

Oh man, have I neglected this blog or what? Well, I am 31 weeks pregnant, we moved a week before Christmas, blah blah.. excuse excuse... but in the end it IS my blog, so I can do what I want :-) 

Anyhow, I made something today that I thought was pretty blog-worthy. With the warmer weather (finally!) I'm finding that I really need to wear shorts. I really don't want to go buy maternity shorts for the final weeks of my pregnancy (I'm cheap frugal that way) so I've been wearing my existing shorts and just not buttoning or zipping them. Not hot when paired with a too-short maternity top! In the interest of being decent when I venture out, I figured I'd make myself a belly band to hide my unmentionables. I have a few tutorials on my Pinterest, but I don't want to drag the sewing machine out with my kids around. They always like to grab my bobbin thread and run through the house with it. I needed something simpler. 

I got a white jersey knit t-shirt at a thrift store for about $1. It has a pretty lace border at the bottom. Here are the steps I took to turn it into my perfect belly band: 



Step 1: Lay the shirt out as flat as possible

Step 2: Use a rotary cutter (or scissors if you don't have a rotary cutter) and cut the shirt across just under the chest

Step 3: Wear it! 

It's comfy, not too tight, the jersey knit doesn't fray, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a store bought belly band. 

Thanks for stopping by!